Learning the Hard WayAs may readers of this blog have undoubtedly found, there are many challenges facing technical teams and project managers having to deliver technical solutions within a known period of time. Many of these challenges can result in deadlines missed, budgets blown, and, in the worst case, the project abandoned.
2. Project Technical Lead
Primary Client StakeholderA primary client stakeholder is the person who is the main point of contact for the project technical lead. They provide information about the current system processes and inform the development of the new system. The client stakeholder should have three key attributes.
- Deep understanding of current system/process being replaced.
- Enthusiastic availability for questions and meetings.
- Understands why current system/process is being replaced and is highly motivated to ensure that replacement is successful.
Project Technical LeadIt continues to surprise me when technical projects fall behind, and even fail, based on technical knowledge. It seems that some service providers in the IT business are able to obtain projects in areas they are simply not qualified due to a successful sales team or a personable executive. And then the company struggles to complete the project, expectations are rolled back, and, if your lucky, you end up with a portion of what you had originally planned for.
- Has completed and delivered multiple projects in this .
- Is available for the duration of the project (even if it goes long).
So, while having a company experienced delivering project of this type in your technology is a great start, you also need to ensure that the technical lead on that team ALSO has that level of experience. That is why it is the second key role.